Respect Your Husband 101*
*oh, and can we add a bit of self-respect this year, also?
It’s a new year, and we’re starting a new round of respect here on the blog. On Facebook, you may have seen the below:
Expectations are important. The first dare deals with these because there are MANY things to consider (and why we have you write them down, then come back and look at them later – like we do with the “expectations & dreams” pages in Daughters of Sarah). Here’s just a few:
- If we have high expectations, we can achieve greater things
- If we have high expectations of ourselves, we run the risk of perfectionistic behaviors and stress
- If we have high expectations of others, we run the risk of communicating to them that they are a disappointment when they don’t achieve
- If we have high expectations of others, we risk putting our hope in a person, instead of God
- But…sometimes when we have high expectations of others, they often live up to them (as long as our expectations are positive and communicated encouragingly)
- And our high expectations can place our hope in ourselves
- If we have low expectations, we can offer ourselves and others grace
- If we have low expectations of ourselves, we run the risk of not trying very hard
- If we have low expectations of others, we run the risk of communicating to them that they are a disappointment because
we don’t think they’re capable of much – and the same goes for ourselves
So you see why Dare #1 is focused on YOUR expectations and where YOU are at. 🙂
I have a few other different things to suggest to you if you are learning how to respect your husband.
First, read this to find out where this all started, why respect matters, and what my intentions are.
Second, if you can, do the book in a community of women in your neck of the woods (here’s the Small Group Leader’s Guide for free) (and here’s more info on small group stuff) and if you can’t grab a community, here’s a coupon for our eCourse which is starting a new group January 11. The below is a coupon you can use to join women around the world who can’t find a local group. The discount is over 50%. If you click on the below it will take you to the eCourse sign up. I think it’s $80 for the 12 week class.
Recently from a woman in a good marriage who graduated from the Respect Dare eCourse – “I don’t want a good marriage – I want a FANTASTIC marriage, and to have that I need to follow God’s plan. Respecting my husband is part of that plan (Eph 5:33). As I worked through the 40 Dares, I began to take a hard look at myself…as I began to change, I noticed that my husband was responding to me differently (and he had no idea I was doing the Respect Dare), that was my little secret). He became even more affectionate, helped me with kitchen chores so I could join him for time together sooner, and talked to me more… Her name is Toni, and I’ll have a link to more of her story up tonight.
If you are married to a Christian man and you are still feeling unloved or wondering if you are being abused, if you’ve already DONE the Respect Dare and it hasn’t helped (or made things worse – see why here) or if you already know you struggle with boundaries, you’ll want to sign up for our FREE beta Strength & Dignity eCourse.
Click the above link or the image below. It’s free til we’re out of Beta. You do it on your time, your schedule, in the privacy of your own home, via email. You’ll get all the short assignments and access to the forum. You’ll need The RESPECT DARE book to do the class well.
I hope you’ll join us! 🙂 In either case, be here with us on the blog – we’ll be doing a FRESH walk through The Respect Dares, and we started today with Dare #1, a fresh look at those expectations!
Time to chime! What about you?
How have YOU seen expectations (both good and bad) impact YOUR marriage?
How did the Respect Dare’s first assignment impact you?
I can’t wait to hear from you! If there’s any post you share, I hope it is this one. 🙂 Be a Titus 2 woman, bring a friend along, and join us on the journey! 🙂
(PS if you are a blogger, and want to join us on the journey, we’ll be doing one dare a week – and if you contact me through the story/question thing on the sidebar, I’ll have something special you can do with your followers – but let me know by Friday!)
Love to you,